Translate

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

EDM #8 is bittersweet.

EDM #8 is to draw your watch or another peice of jewelry. I knew I would draw my watch because other than that the only things are my wedding rings and a pair of earrings. Before I tell you about the drawing (with chalk pastels), I want to tell Lisa, who had asked where to find the list of challenges for EDM...I put a pic of Everyday Matters on my sidebar...if you click on it, it will take you there.

OK...now secondly...this drawing is not finished. It got to this point, and guess what happened??? I cried. I got to thinking about it, and I figured that if something you make brings you to tears at a certain point...maybe I should stop. I think it will be more of a holding point until the kids are asleep tonight.


Here is what brought me to tears:

I had seen a view of the night sky last night and it was just after twilight...I took a mental note of the colors and exactly what I was seeing. The sky was a murky blue gray, and there was a pine tree there (my beloved pine tree)...so anyway, when I drew out my arm, and watch, a figured I would put a tree in the background (like maybe I am camping outdoors, it's dark, and I am up doing something and just happen to look at my watch, which is a Timex Indiglo (the only kind I will wear, since it glows and you can see your watch face easily). Then, I added the moon. There is a story behind the moon...

My grandson was in the backseat of my car about a week or two ago and I said "OH...look at the moon"! It was shaped like a crescent, and he excaimed "OOOHHHHHH, it's JESUS' TOENAIL"!!!!! I laughed with tears in my eyes for quite a time, and it has become a standing bittersweet phrase around here....so I knew I would draw out a crescent moon. THAT was the last thing I put in, followed by the moon glow...and it took me by surprise,... I burst into tears!

I believe children are a gift straight from God. Aren't we all??? Today I am grateful for my grandchildren who keep my life fun!

7 comments:

Snippety Gibbet said...

Jesus's toenail. You'll have to write it down so you never forget it.

The drawing looks as though it could be an illustration for a children's book.

Mandy said...

This is a great picture! To think you just set out to draw your watch and look at where all it took you! Love "Jesus' toenail"...that's great! Children are truly a gift!! Hope you enjoyed your cry too!

Teri said...

What an awesome child to come up a statement like that. I will be chuckling about that for a long time.

Good for you for doing these challenges.

Cindy said...

This is so much better than just a picture of a watch. You have a whole story here, and now a cute kid-ism that you will always treasure.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Thanks for the info Julie. Your Grands are a blessing for sure. What an imagination. I will never look at a sliver of the moon the same again.

Kathryn said...

What a great concept ! Out of the mouths of babes !

Lynn Cohen said...

yes, grandchildren say the darnest things. So cute, sweet.
Your picture is terrific too Julie.
Funny, at firs I thought you had drawn the pastels too. LOL