Translate

Friday, April 6, 2012

More natural plant fabric dying...

A few days ago, I decided to pick up a few things around the neighborhood to use as dying agents, to do some sample lace dying.

For both batches I used equal parts of water to material, added a tablespoon or so of vinegar (to make it permanent), heated to a slow boil, and let sit with white lace dropped in, for a few hours!

First up was some of the Sea Grape leaves that were falling out of my neighbors tree! Here they are in my sink. I washed them and broke them up, put them in my VitaMix and made a blenderized water/vinegar solution.

The next batch were little white weed flowers that has very bright yellow centers. I thought it would make a pretty shade of yellow. Here is that potful.

I was right...they yellow turned out very pretty! The Sea Grapes made a lovely shade of champagne beige!!!

Here you see the three laces I have done so far. The top purple one had been done previously with blueberry juice.

All of these laces started out as white. This is really kinda fun!!! What to do with them??? Use in stitcheries, as a trim on anything, or in collages. Now, if I just had time for all those parts!!! LOL.

OH...and Happy Easter to all who celebrate!
xoxo- Julie

5 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

These look great on the computer screen. I can just imagine how pretty they really are in person. I hope you and yours have a great Easter. Don't eat too many bunny ears. :)

Teri said...

Wow, those colors turned out beautiful!! You are the only one I know with colored lace for Easter eggs.

Happy Easter to you all your loved ones.

Dandelion and Daisy said...

I'm enjoying your experiments. I played around, a little, with using leaves for natural dyes and it is fun. I think just dying lace or paper would be more useful for me, too. I like the yellow, aren't onion skins suppose to dye yellow, too? So many things to explore....so little time! How's the job search going. Happy Easter.

Judi said...

Hi Julie *hugs*
How fun! YOu were right to choose those plants. The colours are so pretty. Love the blueberry and the yellow. Thats the thing eh...trying to find time to do more.
I'm glad you had a good Easter..
have a great week.
Judi

Anonymous said...

Very cool! Looks like you're ahead of the trend. There was a NYT article the other day about how a new generation is learning how to grow their own clothes dyes.