Translate

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Sourdough bread challenge!

Anyone want to join me in making some fall sourdough breads?

I have never made any sourdough starter, and because of a blogger pal, Suzanne, at Just Another Hangup who just posted about her starter, and me getting excited over it...

I have gone out on the web to investigate...and found THIS RECIPE FOR IT! I have already invited Soulbrush to join me (and I hope she can, or will want to), and would like to ask everyone who reads my blog if you would like to try it too! Suzanne plans on showing photos of her breads over the next few weeks, and we could too! I sure hope mine turns out well! It seems a little scary, but an adventure none-the-less!

(Ingredients for starter...just warm water, flour, yeast, and sugar)


(All mixed up...doesn't look like much yet...but it should start bubbling well in a few days)...
I also found this recipe for Amish Sourdough Bread which sounds really GOOOOODDD! It uses just over 1 cup of starter, and then it gives you daily instructions of what to do on each day, all the way through day 10, when you actually get to bake a wonderful sounding bread...(check it out)!!!

Best wishes to everyone around the world on Saturday evening from south Florida!!!

9 comments:

marianne said...

OMG.... that is interesting!
Can't wait to see the result.
Maybe something for my holiday?

Have a nice Sunday!

Urban Green said...

Good luck, Julie. I'm sure it's going to turn out well. Enjoy!
I'll go back to check out the recipe links you've posted.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I did this many years ago. It will be fun for you.

My Little Family: said...

Julie, I adore sourdough bread and kept a starter for a long time when I lived in Seattle. One warning - if you have a cat, keep it out of their reach or you will be cleaning up cat puke and worse. LOL

Claude said...

well, good luck to ya...

I don't eat enough bread to warrant it... if I buy a loaf I freeze half of it so that it won't go bad before I get to it. Awful, aint I? but I do like fresh sourdough....

carolie said...

i tried a couple of weeks ago and it bubbled up nicely but then something went wrong... haha. maybe i'll try it again with you when this cold front passes! good luck with yours!

soulbrush said...

not me, i'm lousy in the kitchen. but i know it's gonna be great.

Suzanne said...

Just so you know... the starter will bubble for a day and then become placid. At that point you just stir it once a day for 3 days. After 3 days start adding to the mixture -- 1 cup flour to 1/2 cup water -- every day if you are leaving it on a counter or every three days if you are refrigerating it. I can't wait to see what you make!

Pudgeduck said...

seems like we used to send part of the starter to friends-hence the name "friendship bread" Went all over the US from the first starter.