Translate

Saturday, December 19, 2009

A Painted Bunting in my yard!


PHOTO CREDIT: Informzoo

I nearly dropped my teeth when I looked out my kitchen window and saw a Painted Bunting (a colorful male)...right out on the grass next to my succulent tires! My son was here and I ran out and he handed me his I Phone...but when I got back in the kitchen, he flew away and I could not have my very own shot of this amazing bird! I was so disappointed! THey are GORGEOUS. I don't believe I have ever seen one here, and man was I excited! It took me a while to calm down, as you might imagine!

My "Birds of North America" identification book lists the buntings as TROPICAL. Maybe I need to be more aware and keep my eyes open for this guy, and his gal (the female is a brilliant yellow green color). My book says it has a soft warble. You can bet I will be on high alert for any reappearances, and consider this a really amazing Christmas gift to myself! I'm grateful!

11 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You lucky lady. These are the most beautiful birds. I have only seen them a handfull of times. I would faint if one turned up in my garden. Merry Christmas for sure.

Claude said...

What a great holiday surprise! Do they winter in your area? Or are they supposed to be there all year? You're going to have to keep a camera right there by the kitchen window aren't you... You don't think he was after your collard seeds, do you?

Aerelonian said...

That really is a lovely bird. I would be extremely excited to see it!

Chris said...

How beautiful is that? Hope he visits again.

It makes me crazy that I NEVER have my camera or binoculars when I see a special bird, or deer, or coyote, or bobcat in the yard or pasture!

Darla said...

I would have messed myself too! What a wonderful sight!!

Cindy said...

Wowee! I have never seen a bird like that.

Teri C said...

Oh wow Julie, I have always wanted to see one of these. What a gift!!!

Arasu said...

With a combination of primary colors, this bird looks beautiful and different.

Pokeberry Mary said...

That is so cool! He's welcome to come over and be the 32nd species in Pokeberry this year--if you see him again, tell I said so. ;)

Julie said...

Mary...LOL...keep your eyes out in the summer...you just might find one around the brambles and shrubs up there!!!

marianne said...

Wow, what a sight that must have been!