Translate

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Universe saved an owl for me!


I had seen this owl planter at one of my favorite thrift stores last week, and passed him by. Now this week, I found him still standing where I had last seen him, amazed he was still there. I picked him up and found out he looks the same on the back as he does on the front! He looks like he was made in the late 60's to early 70's, and was designed to sit between two living areas so he could be seen facing you from either room! What a cool design. You know what I HAD to do...now he sits in the corner of my little Florida Room...and if I am ever sitting outside at my picnic table, I can see him looking out at me too (Well...if I move him a little to the right or left anyway)!!! He is planted with some of my beloved Fittonias!!!

12 comments:

John said...

Some things are just meant to be and you getting that very cool owl must be one. He looks like a great addition to your room. Love your blog and your plants are beautiful!

Claude said...

he's cute. and fittonias are great little plants... do you have the one with red veins too?

Ginny said...

you are so cute with your little thrift finds...I miss thrift shopping...our thrift store just isn't like the ones in the states..we don't have really cool, old things like this...it's mostly just used items that people leave behind like 220v appliances.

My Little Family: said...

I love the owl! YOu have inspired me to check out the local thrift stores.

Vickie

Anonymous said...

That little guy is adorable! Nice find! The Fittonias make a lovely hair-do indeed :)

Pudgeduck said...

That is a great planter! I used to collect owls-probably in the 70's.

Julie said...

Farmer John- HELLO! Thanks for stopping by!!!

Claude- Why yes I do...if you click on Fittonias in my links, you can see my pink and red ones too!

Ginny- I know you will be happy to be back in the states!!!

Vickie- Hope you will find some good stuff when you go!

Emilyschmemily- HELLO!!!!!

Pudgeduck- I used to collect owls in the 70's (my high school years) too!!! Mostly little statues of owls and owl jewelry!

Wicked Gardener said...

Julie - Cute owl! BTW, to answer your question from my blog, yes vinca will grow where you are. It LOVES FL heat and doesn't droop mid-day like impatiens. If you lived near me I'd share - they grow very well from cuttings.

Julie said...

Thankyou, Wicked...I will get some seeds...will be fun to grow!!!

Kelly said...

Hey, that's and awesome find! I bet your glad you snatched him up the second time around. It's hard to find such cute pots like that around anymore! Love it!

Kelly

Teri said...

So, the owl really does have eyes in the back of his head. Very cute planter!

Aiyana said...

Your owl is definitely something from the 60s/70s. It is a great find! I got a small stone owl from Goodwill a couple of years ago for a buck. It is so cute I've decided it is an objet d'art and not just a knickknack, so I keep it in a display cabinet along with a couple of leftover owls from the 60s/70s owl fad.
Aiyana