Translate

Monday, February 18, 2008

Update on Kitten Ears




In a previous post about a month ago, I had discovered my supposed dead Kitten Ears (Tradescantia sillamontana, otherwise known as White Velvet, and Cobweb Spiderwort also) that I had just thrown down on the ground, had begun to regrow, and thrive. I put one in a pot on my kitchen windowsill, and 5 others in a pot on my front porch. There is one hidden behind the front middle one. Amazingly they are all continuing to grow and look very healthy! I hope to just get a nice overflowing pot of them one of these days. Maybe they just couldn't take such strong winter sun. I love their fuzzy leaves or "ears"!!!

8 comments:

Teri said...

I can't wait to see these when they grow up as I am not at all familiar with them. I have some wild spiderwort with beautiful blue flowers back in Wisconsin. I wonder if it is the same family.

Aiyana said...

I grew some Lamb's Ears for a couple of years, because I just loved rubbing the leaves. They don't do very well here at any time but early spring--when they look (and feel) just wonderful. The rest of the year, they are scraggly and leggy. I wonder if the Kitten Ears are related to Lamb's Ears. Maybe cousins?
Aiyana

Julie said...

I think Lambs Ear must be a cousin to this plant...the Lambs Ear has longer leaves, from what I've seen.
I think you are definately right about the plants being kinda yucky quite a bit of the year...I may end up just dumping them if they do the same thing again this year...not enough bang for the buck!!! It's been fun watching them though. They really gave me a fun surprise when they came back to life!!!

Donna said...

They are just darling. I don't think I've seen Kitten Ears before. I have Lamb Ears but they aren't doing so well. I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for some Kitten Ears.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet name for these fuzzy succulents! It's perfect!

stapeliad said...

You must be so excited. I would be.

:)

Serena Lewis said...

How cool! You must be feeling quite proud of yourself, Julie...well done ~ :)

Anonymous said...

Your little gardens are wonderful--so creative. And your photos at the right are spectacular.