Translate

Monday, October 27, 2008

New succulent rescues...literally!

A friend and I stopped by a really big and beautiful nursery today, and found many succulents...the two I picked out are just like candy to my eye (so I posed them in front of my Halloween candy tonight). I have tried to ID them, and so ...to the best of my ability, I believe they are called (from left to right) Gasteria liliputana AND Haworthia cooperi.


They both have sun damage...were left out in full sun, with little care (full of weeds when I brought them home). Many plants there had died and completely decayed.

The Gasteria definately needs to be repotted...it is so crowded I feel sad for it! I don't actually have a larger pot tonight, or I would not even consider letting this wait...but until tomorrow...

If anyone knows of any other identifying information...please do not hesitate to let me know. I am looking through all my books and finding the closest match to what I see...which, as I have found out in the world of succulents...may be close, or may be a whole other species altogether!! That is the truth. So don't be shy if you have any ideas about them! I appreciate all help I can get from such a knowledgable group as yourselves!!!

The Haworthia has caespitose (growing in small dense clumps or tufts) rosettes 4 cm in diameter; pale green leaves with a long terminal bristle. It should have pinkish white flowers with green veins!

The Gasteria has short stemmed rosettes forming clumps (there are a lot, lot, lot of them in here)...dark green spotted leaves, and it should have RED flowers! I think the bronze colored leaves are either from the full sun beating down on them, or possibly this is a variety of B. bicolor Haworthia. That would be cool...I suppose time will tell.

12 comments:

Teri said...

You are turning into a plant doctor!! I know they will be happy in your home.

Claude said...

nice little plants... you could probably divide each of them up into 3 different pots. At least.

I've never been a big fan of either hawthorias, or gasterias... I do have a gaseraloe out in the shade house, but it's got awful sun damage this year...

Tootsie said...

BOO!!! Please stop in tomorrow and get scared!

Ashraf sharif said...

beautiful blants
mmm, i have problem to named my plants also

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Lucky succulents to have you find them and give them new life.

stapeliad said...

I just love gasterias. They remind me of funky tongue depressors.

HUGS!

soulbrush said...

aaaaawwww this is so sweet and touching, saving plants...there is an award for you on my blog cos I WUV YOUR BLOG!

Kristi said...

Wait, they don't like full sun? No wonder my succulents look so bad.

Julie said...

Claude- please find a semi shade spot for your lovely gasteraloe!!! Is that a crossed plant??? Never heard of it before!

Ashraf- Thanks...I am glad to know it is not just me that wonders if I always get the right species name!

Stapeliad...I love gasterias too! They are so awesome!!!

Soulbrush- you must stop spoiling me with all these awards!!! LOL! Thanks!

Teri and Lisa- Thanks guys!!!

Not So Crafty- Just experiment and move them to a less sunny spot if you think they are not doing as well there...some like full sun...like the ones in my tires outside...and others must be partial shade! It's just one big experiment for me all the time! But fun!!!

Tootsie- see ya tomorrow...I'm nervous...don't scare me too badly!!! LOL!

Serena Lewis said...

I really like the Gasteria...I might look out and see if we have them DownUnder. I'm sure both these plants are already feeling your love and, given time in your caring hands, will make awesome specimens.

Aiyana said...

You could separate both of these succulents and end up with lots of new plants, if you have enough pots!
Aiyana

Lisa Rivas said...

These plants of yours are so inspiring! I will be joining cactus Monday soon, maybe tomorrow!

Also I have another candidate for you:
Carol Adamec in Alburquerque, NM - great painter!
http://www.caroladamec.blogspot.com/