Translate

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Oh gosh...

I am getting more white hairs on the tip of the Rat Tail cactus every day and I can see it is growing upward at the tip (the plant itself)...I was hoping that it might be the start of a flower, but no such luck! It is fun to watch something you haven't seen before to find out what will happen! This is my first Rat Tail, as you can see!!! Hee hee hee!

I got a new mattress delivered to use while the kids are here...now I have a full sized pull out couch, and two futons and large long couch, and 4 beds for all of us to sleep on. Plenty of room.

Tonight I tried to clean the BBQ grill racks in the self cleaning oven! I read about it online and it sounded like a wonderful thing to do! Now...I have to tell you... DO NOT USE THIS METHOD!!!!! There was some baked on stuff, and I first tried cleaning it with this really fabulous looking cleaner that I found at Home Depot by Simple Green...it just wasn't fast enough for me...and I was trying to save some elbow grease too. Anyway after about 40 minutes in the self cleaning oven, smoke started billowing out the top of the oven through a burner area, and then the smoke alarm went off. I turned the oven off, and then I had to disconnect the smoke alarm from the ceiling and put it out the front door to get it to shut off!!! We had to open all the windows and turn on fans, etc. Luckily it is a semi-cool night so we are able to leave all the doors nad windows open for a while! So how dumb was this idea???

The next thing I will try is to place the racks in a garbage bag (outside) and cover with ammonia and water for about 4 hours...then you rinse with the hose...and brush.

I WILL BE THE WINNER!!!!! (Somehow)

I will also get my refrigerator all wiped out tonight as well. After that, I think I will be ready for the kids to arrive on the 23rd.

The only thing will be grocery shopping and one last lawn mow before they arrive.

After the 23rd, I cannot say how much time I will have for blogging...I will be thinking of you all so much and wondering what you are all up to, and I will get back here once I have them situated in their new apartment.

Oh, the house has really cleared out now (smoke) and I think we can safely close up the windows again...but you know what...it is actually kinda cool out now. It is 10pm here and the air is quite pleasant...maybe I will leave them open a few more hours...I can hear the bugs churping and I love the sound of the nighttime critters! Hey I will at least sleep with my window cracked open a little just for that!!! Sweet sounds of summer! I always feel like I am camping outdoors when I can hear the sounds through the window.

Goodnight.....sleep tight.....zzzzzzzzz.....

7 comments:

Claude said...

Work work work... make sure you get a good rest before they arrive or you'll just be too tired out to enjoy them...

BTW, if the new growth on the cleisto is coming in white, it's probably not getting enough light... you might want to get it outside in the sun. If you have time...

Lynn Cohen said...

Oy, what an ordeal. I am sorry you had it. Hope you get things clean to your desire easily and without hazard now.

Julie said...

Claude- thanks for the tip! I will move it out to the succulent tires ASAP!

Tootsie said...

my next door neighbor's oven caught on fire when she did a self cleaning! I hate the smell it makes so I always clean my oven by hand...hate that too..but the smell is much nicer!
try not to work too hard!

Aiyana said...

No comment on your idea! Anyway, hope you can salvage the racks. I put my oven on the self cleaning cycle and forgot to take them out beforehand. It burnt the chrome right off them and now they are an ugly grey color.
I'm still waiting for my Claude cactus to show some growth. It is still living, but I think it's in dormancy right now.
Aiyana

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Clean the grill racks??? I didn't know people actually did that. tee hee...

stapeliad said...

Julie I would have put those racks in the oven too. it sounds like a brilliant plan to me...too bad about the smoke.

I had a hildewintera cactus bloom for me once...it was amazing. That's why I love them so much. I hope yours blooms...if anyone can do it you can. They dont bloom from the tip- the flowers come out the sides and are a magnificent coral-orange color.