Translate

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

These are cute!


I have been admiring these succulents for a few months now. They reside in an office where I go to do work...people know the gal who works here, and they buy her succulents! I believe the top ones are in their original dish from the store...and amazingly they are all still looking well, even the one with the fake flower! I know from experience that that pot has no hole underneath, and the pebbles on top let in no water...or very little...I am watching to see how it goes. That tall green plant with red leaves coming out all around it is so adorable! I have never seen anything like it. I think I want one for myself, but am wondering if I will begin to be overflowing with too many...something I need to watch, for sure! I wanted all my succulents to be in my tire gardens, but now my front porch is overflowing, and I am starting with my picnic table in the backyard...AND have considered filling up my screenroom as well. Now, we all know this will never do. I must start to stop...it is hard...don't want to...help me...arrrghhhh.......

8 comments:

Aiyana said...

Hi Julie,
Perhaps that's what keeps the plants alive--very little water can get at them! Seems more cacti and succulents are killed by kindness, i.e., overwatering, than neglect. I think a very small amount seeps in, providing just enough moisture. I have some of these types of arrangements with strictly cactus, and they've lasted for years!
Aiyana

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie !

Thank you for your comment on my blog.
You have wonderful succulents ! Even if I have less plants than you, I understand your problem of becoming overflowed :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,

Thanks for your sweet experession of support re: my recent loss of a portion of my mature succulent collection to cold. It really does feel like having old friends die and all due to my flakiness.

The plant pictured on your blog with the red leaves is a variety of Euphorbia, and shouldn't be too hard to find.

Best wishes in your collecting!

MGG

Julie said...

Aiyana...that is amazing...I just figured whatever water got inside would cause the plants to rot in time! Good news then!!!
Julie

Wicked Gardener said...

Julie - In the first picture, what is spiky plant in front, that looks similar to aloe? My step-son brought one home and is excited about it, but I don't know what it called.

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

Hi Wicked...the closest match I can find for it in my new book is Haworthia fasciata, it is not an aloe evidently. Do a Google search on this name and see if it looks like yours...if not, I feel certain is it an Haworthia of some sort! I have seen a Haworthia Minima, and a Haworthia Attenuata that arfe also similar! Good luck!
Julie

Wicked Gardener said...

From my Google investigation, haworthia attenuata looks the closest to my plant - thanks for pointing me in the right direction!