Translate

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A visit to the Atlanta Aquarium...

This pic was taken from the front of the aquarium looking out toward downtown Atlanta...you can see the Coke building (museum) right across the sidewalk. This is an awesome aquarium, but we were talking and I think of all the aquariums I have visited, I still like the one in Chattanooga the best. The exhibits there are set up to where you see different cross-sections of the worlds rivers and oceans...but you see not only the underwater part, but also the trees, shrubs, and wildlife above as well, which are indigenous to each area. I believe they had more different types of every thing in Chattanooga. BUT.....Atlanta Aquarium is still awesome...don't get me wrong...it is AMAZING!!! It is the WORLDS largest aquarium, and they have 3 beluga whales (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE), and 4 whale sharks, which are the worlds largest fish! Pretty amazing to see. I got choked up a few times, just in awe of actually being able to see something like these creatures up close...especially the belugas...one of my favorite animals ever! Well, other than the Mandrill (Monkey).

Since I had no above ground succulents in sight today IN the aquarium... how about a few underwater ones??? These lovely and colorful underwater plants were in the tank with the giant crabs (Japanese spider crabs). This tank was a showstopper for me...made me wonder if I should have more of an interest in the plants under the sea!

When we came back outside, I saw this little building with a sedum roof...first one I have ever seen in REAL LIFE!!! I got a little excited! Looks like it is just getting started filling in...would love to see it when it is fully covered!

And a closer view.

4 comments:

Aiyana said...

I remember some of the sights you are showing from the Atlanta area. I used to travel to Atlanta a lot on business before I retired, and I think I was able to visit most all the well known tourist destinations--a day at a time. We used to stay an extra day each time to get the best rates, and that made for some sight seeing time.
Aiyana

Mary said...

Funny, we visited an aquarium on our little vacatin too-- in Charleston--the main attraction for us was AC--but it was awesome for other reasons too.

Claude said...

You are certainly seeing a lot of great things on your vacation! I love the 'green roof' concept, but I'm not sure that they would survive here in Texas... wonder if I could plant my shed in prickly pears? I know most sedums burn up in the heat without extra water...

stapeliad said...

This is so cool!!!

I love aquariums. There is a really nice one here right near Coney Island- I should really go at some point this summer with Daya.

The sedum roof? What is cooler than that???