Translate

Monday, June 22, 2009

Happy Late Cactus Monday!!!

In honor of upcoming 4th of July, and the idea of Stars and Stripes....I would like to present some close ups of the sweet little nubbins of Escobaria missouriensis (Missouri Foxtail Cactus)...which were sent to me a while back by , my blogger pal, Claude (Random Rants and Prickly Plants). These little cactus specimens are so delightful and starry...they just amaze me every time I go into my kitchen, and they have really provided me with a lot to love ever since they arrived. I actually MISSED THEM while I was gone to Germany!

Anyway, I really wasn't going to do a post for Cactus Monday because it has been so darn hot and muggy outside. You just can't seem to want to do anything when it is like this. BUT...tonight I saw my little starry guys here and thought I would try and get some close-ups. My camera was very difficult and I felt like one of these fashion photographers who had to keep clicking away to get one good shot out of hundreds...and finally I ended up with three semi-decent ones!

Don't you just love the stars???

Next Monday I think I should give you some "Stripes" of the cactus world...

So stay tuned for the second part of "Stars and Stripes"...

11 comments:

Claude said...

I was just thinking about these today, as I drove past the graveyard they came from. Glad to see that they're doing so well, and that you're enjoying them so much!

Did the cleistocactus make it?

My Little Family: said...

Let's have a Doozey Tuesday!

Cathy S. said...

I was wondering why you did not do a Cactus monday post, Nice cactus Julie! do you use a digital camera?

Julie said...

Vickie- That is a great idea!!! I will!

Claude- of course the cleisto is doing great! I love them so much...thanks for sending to me!!!

Julie said...

Cathie- yes, it is a Nikon Cool Pix, but I need to get a REALLY good camera...I can't deal with blur any more!!!

marianne said...

Lovely little cacti!
Can you send plants by mail? I just wonder how that works.......

HBCM!

yoon see said...

I really love all the stars here.
Loving the cactuses because of their fresh stylish green:)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Yes, these stars look like they are exploding with delight. Happy Cactus Monday.

Diane AZ said...

The "stars" are delightful! Can't wait to see what you will come up with for "stripes". Happy Cactus!

Teri said...

I never really thought of them as stars but you're right, they are wonderfully starry!!

Can't imagine what you will use for stripes.

HCM

walk2write said...

Missouri foxtail cactus. Whereabouts do they come from in Missouri? I'm familiar with that part of the country and had never heard of these before. They really are quite lovely. Julie, I hear you about taking scads of pics just to get a few good ones. It is a good thing we don't have to waste a lot of film like in days past. I was telling SAM the other day we need to go through hundreds of old photos, scan them, and then discard. They're beginning to deteriorate sitting in boxes and envelopes, and I'd hate to lose them forever. It's just too dang expensive to put them in photo-safe albums. Now I just need to find and save up for a good scanner.