Translate

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Dragonfly Photo Shoot Up Close and Personal!

Well, I was out in the side yard (and luckily I had my darn camera in hand), when a dragonfly came to rest right in front of me on the Jasmine on my gate! I couldn't believe how he acted...very friendly, and let me put my hand up right under him. He moved a couple of his little legs onto my finger, and then moved...but only a teeny distance away. I felt like I was freakin Snow White!!! This guy was trying to actually communicate with me...I talked to him, and he just let me take picture after picture!!! What a sweetheart! He was a goodlooking fellow, too! I am referring to him as male, but for all I know he could be she!



Doesn't he look like a helicopter animated for childrens television?????
In these two pics he had flewn over to the tip of an hibiscus bush, and I was taking the pics into the sun, so they don't show his color as well, but I thought these were still interesting shots!


That was fun!!!

15 comments:

Aiyana said...

The photos are amazing! That little guy's eyes are weird. The whole thing must be a pupil. But then, I don't know a darn thing about dragonfly biology.
Aiyana

My Little Family: said...

OMG! He SO looks like a helicopter. I had a dragonfly experience once where I found a very large one floating in the pool but it wasn't dead. I scopped him out hoping he would fly away but he wasn't up to it. It was late in day so I put him on a plant where there was still some sunlight to warm him, and where I didn't think a bird would get him, and I checked on him every 15 minutes for about an hour. A couple times he slid off the plant and I put him right back up. He didn't make it but I felt like he knew I was trying because he touch me with his feet when I would put my finger near him. Vickie

Teri said...

WOW!!!!! AWESOME!!! LOVE IT!

Julie said...

Vickie- Awe...that was too bad he died anyway...it really was an amazing few moments in time that I spent with this guy...so I know what you mean about when he put his little feet over on your finger! He appreciated your help!

Anonymous said...

Lucky! Don't you just LOVE those discovery channel moments! Good job on the photos ~ I especially love the way you can see all of the detail in his little wings on the hibiscus photos - well done! :)

Serena Lewis said...

These are really great pics, Julie!

Anonymous said...

Julie, these are fantastic photos! I'm always amazed when a close up of dragonflies reveal how much they resemble helicopters.

Green thumb said...

Amazing creature! I caught one on my camera and had posted its pics in one of the posts, but they were nowhere as good as this one is.
It seems as if you have captured its expression as well; a mechanical helicopter, impassive, and waiting for the owners' further instructions!

Cindy said...

Great close up shots! I've never seen one that would let you touch it like that. Usually those great big compound eyeballs see you coming and away they go!

Kelly said...

You're hysterical! Well, Snow White, you really got some great photos of him! He does look like a helicopter! Hee-hee! :O)

Kelly

Kristi said...

Nice shot!

kathy said...

I can imagine your excitement interacting with the dragonfly. Those are some of the nicest photos I've ever seen of one, and your commentary makes it even more special. He couldn't have picked a nicer person to get friendly with.

Julie said...

Thanks Kathy!!!

Julie said...

Thanks Kathy!!!

blossom said...

that was fun indeed. I wish they'll be that friendly with me once in a while, ok, once! I wanna feel like Snow White, too! Darn lucky, you!