Translate

Saturday, December 19, 2009

A Painted Bunting in my yard!


PHOTO CREDIT: Informzoo

I nearly dropped my teeth when I looked out my kitchen window and saw a Painted Bunting (a colorful male)...right out on the grass next to my succulent tires! My son was here and I ran out and he handed me his I Phone...but when I got back in the kitchen, he flew away and I could not have my very own shot of this amazing bird! I was so disappointed! THey are GORGEOUS. I don't believe I have ever seen one here, and man was I excited! It took me a while to calm down, as you might imagine!

My "Birds of North America" identification book lists the buntings as TROPICAL. Maybe I need to be more aware and keep my eyes open for this guy, and his gal (the female is a brilliant yellow green color). My book says it has a soft warble. You can bet I will be on high alert for any reappearances, and consider this a really amazing Christmas gift to myself! I'm grateful!

11 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You lucky lady. These are the most beautiful birds. I have only seen them a handfull of times. I would faint if one turned up in my garden. Merry Christmas for sure.

Claude said...

What a great holiday surprise! Do they winter in your area? Or are they supposed to be there all year? You're going to have to keep a camera right there by the kitchen window aren't you... You don't think he was after your collard seeds, do you?

Aaerelon said...

That really is a lovely bird. I would be extremely excited to see it!

Chris said...

How beautiful is that? Hope he visits again.

It makes me crazy that I NEVER have my camera or binoculars when I see a special bird, or deer, or coyote, or bobcat in the yard or pasture!

Darla said...

I would have messed myself too! What a wonderful sight!!

Cindy said...

Wowee! I have never seen a bird like that.

Teri said...

Oh wow Julie, I have always wanted to see one of these. What a gift!!!

Ezhilan said...

With a combination of primary colors, this bird looks beautiful and different.

Mary said...

That is so cool! He's welcome to come over and be the 32nd species in Pokeberry this year--if you see him again, tell I said so. ;)

Julie said...

Mary...LOL...keep your eyes out in the summer...you just might find one around the brambles and shrubs up there!!!

marianne said...

Wow, what a sight that must have been!