Translate

Sunday, January 17, 2010

My plants after one night at 32 degrees F.

Baby Emily fell asleep in the car, so I quickly took a few shots of some of my plants. Most are doing great, but a few suffered damage with the one freezing night here. Below, my Thimble Cactus is putting out some blooms (it's happy).

The Perle Von Nurnberg below is very happy...with a touch of water with the rain we have had today!

The collards are on week three of growth...lookin good...seemed to thrive in the cold air, thank God!!!

My hibiscus look the same as always! These peach ones, which I have been wanting to show for the last month, just seem to get to the bud stage, and then rarely open. Anyone know what is going on with that? They get the same amt. of sun, water, and fertilizer as my red ones, which you can see open fully and are usually covered. The peach and red are all planted in one row.



The hybrid Kalenchoe...the ones with 26 petals on each blossom...are looking good right now all bloomed out. I had planted about 15 of these plants in three different colors last year, but the sun and water situations took most of them out. These two are the best two left.


The Prickly Pear pad (ONE PAD) I had planted about 8 months ago (saved from the one that was cut down in the neighborhood)...is growing quite nicely...it has 8 pads now!!! No damage to it from the cold.

These next two are blurry (sorry)...but show my favorite plant...Mother of Millions...with damage...the leaves became white and waterlogged. I am hoping the whole thing wasn't taken out. It looks kinda rough. I think it will recover...I am gonna hope so anyway.


My Angelwing Begonias were really damaged. They had been under the covered front porch. I should have brought them in, but I couldn't think of everything! I have cut them back severely in hopes they will live.

Last but not least...the Christmas Cactus is gorgeous right now!

Happy upcoming week to all!
xoxo- Julie

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Julie, Perle Von Nurnberg - what a lovely name. Nice succulent. Love the cactus - fantastic photo! Love the rocks and shells around the plant. Evelyn

Claude said...

looking pretty good...

mine aren't... the cactus that have survived the winter outside for the last three years took a big hard hit this year... they can take the cold just fine, but the last cold snap followed 2 days of rain... we're having a wet winter here. Cold fine, cold and wet... just doesn't work. I've lost a few plants this winter.

Claude said...

UHHHH

I meant to mention, that hibiscus may need Heat to really open it's blooms... I can't think of anything else that would be holding it back.

Mary said...

The collards look great as do the succulents. I won't take any photos of my poor succulents. I left them out this winter and well.... its pretty bad.

Serena Lewis said...

I'm so glad to hear that the majority of your plants survived the frigid conditions in tact, Julie. What a relief for you.

Bobbie Lynn said...

Good Luck with your plants Julie. I know how hard it is to work so hard during the year on our plants and then have bad weather just destroy it. I do not know what the problem could be with your hibiscus. It seems that they are a care free plant. Sorry : ( Keep us posted.

Aaerelon said...

It's nice to see the variety of plants. I'm glad the temperatures didn't severely damage anything. Our day time high was around 35F in London, Canada. You know it's a strange winter when the temperature ranges in Florida and Ontario begin to overlap!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

My goodness it looks like your garden survived the cold just great. I have had begonias survive a cold snap before. Good luck. I hope you have a good week too.

Teri said...

Hoely Moley Julie, your plants (well most of them) look so happy and healthy! I think I am jealous.

NotSoAngryRedHead said...

I also have a thimble cactus (or several since they splinter off so easily), a Perle Von Nurnberg, and a very similar prickly pear. It's hit 18F here, and they're all fine including several other succulents. I'm impressed that several of my aloes are still quite green and haven't gone completely brown yet which is just wild to me. Love all the blooms on yours!!!

Desert Swamp Dweller said...

I'm sure that everyone will recover.

Bethany said...

ooh, so happy about the prickly pear!!!!