Translate

Friday, February 11, 2011

Happy news!


I read in a local newspaper (I seriously can't remember which one) last week that the state Department of Environmental Protection had thought they might close Savannas State Park located along much of the Atlantic Coast between Fort Pierce and Jensen Beach. This park contains nearly all of the remaining populations of the fragrant prickly-apple (Harrisia fragrans), an endangered cactus species! It is a federally listed endangered species of the United States! You can read more about this cactus Here, on Wikipedia. The pic seen is from there as well.
Luckily, I see news has just come out stating that Governor Rick Scott
said no just TODAY to the idea of closing some of Florida's state parks as a cost-cutting measure!!! Whew...I was so worried! It was to be possibly 53 out of 160 parks! Read more about it: HERE. Now, I just have to get in my car, drive up there and see this cactus for myself! When I do (and it will be very soon), I will take pictures and you all will be the first to see!
I am feeling really good right now to hear this wonderful news! Here is a link to Savannas State Park, if you want to check it out sometime!

8 comments:

Darla said...

I say we protect our parks not close them!!

Teri said...

That is great news and I am impatiently waiting for photos1

Serena Lewis said...

That is GREAT news, Julie!! YAY! I'm off to check out the links now ~ :)

Penny said...

So glad it is to stay, Govts all over seem to be trying to cut cost and usually to the detriment of parks that were set up to save something.

Lynn Cohen said...

Smiling with your happiness!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

People need their parks. The gov't needs to look at other ways to save money. That cactus looking interesting. I had never heard of it.

Sounds like you had a good time at DW too.

Deepa Gopal said...

Thats a great news...we need to protect our nature and endangered species...Back home in my place, we are trying to save our Tigers:)

Anonymous said...

It makes me want to take my cub scouts there to see the prickly apple. In the spring I plan to take my cubs to our local blog to see wild growing pitcher plants. This area is one of the last places this particular species grows wild.

See here for pixs:
http://wp.me/p7vrC-2R

Shannon