Translate

Sunday, December 18, 2011

2 crafts today


This morning, I helped my grandson build this train engine from Lowe's. They have kids building seminars every weekend and he wasn't there, so they gave me a kit to take home to him. He loves to build wooden things with hammer and nails! He has built 2 planes, a bulldozer, a race car, and a birdhouse.

The guy at Lowe's told me they had built different train cars the past 2 weeks, and they all stick together with magnets. This engine could be made using the regular decorating stickers or the Christmas ones, so he used the Christmas ones, of course. I want to see if I can purchase the other ones for him to make too.

We did have one kinda bad problem occur while building it today...we accidently nailed the train to the table! Hahaha...we could not get it off. Finally my husband woke up and he pried it off using a heavy thick screwdriver. What was funny was that we had several sections to today's newspaper under the train, so they were nailed down too!!! Fortunately, hubby got to read his newspaper, and Donovan got to finish building the train!!! The holes in the tabletop add to the beauty of our craft table!!!

Then later this evening, I found a sweet tutorial for how to make this paper star!!! I found it over at I Like Paper Cutting and Craft! Go visit her to see how to make this amazing star! It is so easy...Donovan and I had one done in 10 minutes!!! She used double sided origami paper, but I just cut about 5" squares from construction paper. I think I might try a smaller one using two kinds of Christmas wrapping paper stuck together, for the double sided effect. If it turns out really gorgeous, you will see it here, for sure!

xoxo- Julie

6 comments:

Judi said...

Hi Julie *hugs*
*lol*...funny. I can just imagine you and your grandson with the train nailed into the table..yikes..maybe that wasn't so funny. I hope your table is ok.
The train is great and how clever he is to build it. I know you'll hve it building more.

Lovely star. Thank you for posting...and for your sweet comments to me Julie.

I hope you have a wonderful week and are getting ready for the weekend in good style.

*hugs*
Judi

Deepa Gopal said...

Julie, I must the star is pretty awesome...will chk out the tutorial. And ur grandson is extremely talented. I think it would need lot of patience too...
Pass on my regards to the lil artist.

Unknown said...

Hey Julie
That is a great star!
Have a great holiday, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Evelyn

Unknown said...

Hey Julie
That is a great star!
Have a great holiday, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Evelyn

Rohrerbot said...

Oh how I curse the paper star....I remember trying to make those as a kid many years ago, but I couldn't figure out how to twist them without ripping or tearing the paper! Your pic looks like you had better luck:)

Caca said...

I like the colors you chose for the star. I am glad you found my tutorial useful. I am sure you had great fun making the star with your grandson. Merry Christmas to you and your family.