Translate

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

All is well here, post Fay!

I ended up working today during the passing of the tropical storm, Fay...my company considered it a normal work day! There was solid rain and a little wind, but not too bad on the roads, which I was grateful for. When I got home, we had power, but one neighbor had lost hers, and it got fixed quickly, so that was wonderful. There were quite a few tornados all around Florida today, and quite a few places were damaged. We were under a tornado warning all day...but luckily I did not run into any myself, while working. Some cities farther north are under water. My heart breaks for them. I need to hear how the folks are on the west side of the state. Looks like it will now get out into the Atlantic and then strengthen to hurricane, and cross back over the top of Florida and then move north. What a zig-zaggy mess. As usual. Well...hopefully we will be fairly back to normal tomorrow. Schools will be back in session, here anyway. I am wondering about my friends in Clearwater, Lakeland, and Ocala...and worried about my friends in Gainesville. Goodness, this is exhausting.

9 comments:

Tootsie said...

girl I thought of you all day long! We don't have those bad storms here in Canada...but we have our fair share of tornados and severe thunderstorms. I am so glad you are okay!

stay safe lady!

Claude said...

Glad to hear that you made it through OK. Your company was open anyway? What about all the people who had kids at home from school, what do they do?

One of the advantages of my job is I work when I want, and I don't have to drive in bad situations...

The Succulent Dish said...

i am so glad you're ok down there. i'll say a prayer for all your friends--and all of florida for that matter.

Julie said...

Thanks all! My company has daycare for all of the kids when school is out as well, which is nice on days they really need us to work regardless of school hours!
That's how it goes in healthcare, although, when they do activate hurricane protocols, we are designated to be on BEFORE and AFTER, or DURING teams, so I have been off for a few hurricanes, and have worked through a few. It is an exciting life at times! LOL :)
I'm glad it turned out to be just a regular old work day. The hurricane times require three- four times the amount of work, for sure!

Teri said...

Phew, so glad you are okay!

Serena Lewis said...

I'm glad you're okay!

Wicked Gardener said...

Be thankful for the daycare - I'm in a major bind because I need to figure out what I'm doing with my kid tomorrow - of course I have to be at work! I think this little storm is bound and determined to hit every town in Florida!!

Aiyana said...

Glad to hear all's well there. I have a friend in Ocala too, and she hasn't yet answered my email, so I hope all is well with her.
Aiyana

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie, Here on the west coast of central FL (50 miles south of Tampa) in our area we hardly got a drop of rain and just a little wind. When they first showed Fay, it was supposed to come right for us, but then went eratic all over the place. My heart goes out to those that really got hit. It seems like the east coast got most of the rain -- over 30"!

We are all hoping our hurricane season is mild this year.

Tell me again where you are.