Translate

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Very interesting!!!

I stopped to take a few pictures tonight when I took my daughter to school, and look what I found! First...a Deep Sea Crinum, which I felt was so pretty with it's dainty little blooms! I had to take a pic for my blogger friend, WICKED GARDENER!!! This one is just for you, Wicked!!!


Then I found a Stapelia Gigantea with a big old bloom (about 7 inches in diameter)...covered in flies! This one is for my blogger buddy, CLAUDE, cause he is waiting for his to bloom (well, I am waiting for mine to bloom also)!


Now this is a very sad picture, and I actually did get a tear in my eye when I discovered the condition of some of my succulents tonight. They were still moved to the inner side of my screenroom since the tropical storm blew through last week, and I was holding out on moving them back on their shelves because there is another storm out over Haiti. I walked out to water a few of the plants that need it...and discovered my brand spankin new Thai Crown of Thorns...just sort of melted and is deadish! Oh my goodness. I started flinging all my plants back onto the shelves...got everyone a drink, and hopefully they will enjoy all their fresh air and sunshine tomorrow. This poor baby had to go to plant heaven. I'm sad. This happened in just 7 days. Meanwhile all the succulents outdoors, in full sun, fresh air, and sunshine and doing great. So I say, if it is temporary...I would err on the side of more air movement, sunshine and more water rather than less. If possible. End of sad tale. Goodnight.

10 comments:

Pudgeduck said...

That's sad! We had a rainstorm the other night and over half my cacti got a soaking--only 3 days after I watered. I sure hope I don't lose very many. Three blew over and knocked off a good part of the roots, so that may be another problem to deal with. I'll have a long disaster list if the humidity doesn't go down quickly.
Looks like the Stapelia is doing what it's intended to do--act as pollinators. Great flower!
Aiyana

Julie said...

This is weird...a comment from Pudgeduck, signed by Aiyana?????

Claude said...

Still waiting on that Stapeliad... the darned thing seems to be taking it's time with everything. That Crown of Thorns went fast, is there any chance that it had a case of root rot already started when you bought it?

Julie said...

You know, Claude...I will pull it out of pot and check it out! I had not considered that...I just figured I killed it. LOL...they were sitting out in an uncovered area at Home Depot...

Tootsie said...

hey hun! I see you found the hunky gardener! he's a sweetie! sorry about the crown of thorns...maybe next time?

The Succulent Dish said...

i'm so sorry about the plant. but i'm very glad to hear you are ok.

soulbrush said...

oh no i hate 'losing' a plant, i always feel guilty. but imagine how lovely plant heaven must be...

Aiyana said...

Hi Julie,
Pudgeduck is a friend of mine. We used to live in the same neighborhood, and I occasionally visit and help her with computer issues. She asked me to add a new blog as a link to her blog. After I did that for her, I decided to check out all my regular sites, yours included. I guess I forgot to sign her out and sign myself in. Dumb move! Sorry for any confusion.
Aiyana

Julie said...

Aiyana- I was wondering if something like this hadn't happened! LOL. Sounds like something that would happen to me as well! I am jealous that you are friends with Pudgeduck and Tur Tell. I want to move out and hang with you 3. We could have so much fun. I would have loved to have gone to that art seminar you just went to...and I noticed that you and Pudgeduck do the gourds...they are so gorgeous! I would love to have that skill as well. Oh well...maybe one day, eh??? If only for a visit. :)

Wicked Gardener said...

Hey! Thanks for the Crinum pic! Sorry it took me so long to find it. Life has been crazy and I've been preoccupied. I'm hoping to have a new post this weekend. Come say hello!