Translate

Friday, August 1, 2008

Succulent birdhouse roofing ideas!

OK...so far here is what I have come up with to make a really neat roof for a birdhouse. I may need to draw out plans to illustrate what I'm saying...but basically it is to either build or buy a large sized birdhouse...then either remove or leave off the roof. Use two shallow (example: 8x8 metal baking pans)...or whatever size works best for your size birdhouse. Now, you would put one at an angle for one side of the roof, and the other one, you will place also at the other side on an angle, but put the pan about 1 inch above the other pan, so you can drill and attach them together, with them sort of overlapping each other. Now before you attch these two pans together you will drill out a few drain holes at each bottom edge (the side that will be at the bottom edge when you attach to the birdhouse, so excess water can escape. OK...now to fill...first put a layer of spagnum moss, and on top of that, a layer of cactus soil, then top with more spagnum moss, and then take a sheet of chicken wire (as small a space between each hole as you can find), and cut it the size of the top of the pan, plus however many inches it is down the side of the pan...so if the pan was 8 inches square, and it was a 2 inch deep pan, you would cut a 10x10 peice of chicken wire. Then fold the edges in so it will fit over all the spagnum moss like a cap, when the sides of the chicken wire will go down inside edges of the pan, and hold everything in. Then you use your finger to open the moss up to insert your cuttings or small succulent plants into the dirt in each hole of the chicken wire. Push in more spagnum moss around each plant to fill in. Make sure you soak the moss and squeeze it out before you put it in the pan, so it starts out a little wet. Then we can treat the whole thing like we would any of our other succulents...sunshine and fresh air, and mist with water every couple of days until everything gets rooted, and then as per usual...every 2-4 weeks depending on your climate. How does that sound??? I am so excited to try it!!!
Tell me what you think of this idea, and if you have any other ideas or improvements!

10 comments:

My Little Family: said...

I was thinking it would require chicken wire and I see you have figured that into your plan. I'm not sure you need drainage or pans because the angel of the roof will allow water to drain without a problem. I was thinking the wooden roof actually is made like pans in that it would have a lip to keep the stuff on. Vickie

My Little Family: said...

I found it! Here's a flickr link with step by step of how to do it! Whose your buddy????

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toomuchtodo/sets/72157605756057446/

Aiyana said...

Your idea sounds plausable, and certainly quicker than using wood. I asked my husband, and he says he could build one with scrap lumber in an hour, but then, carpentry has been his hobby for many years. I wouldn't be able to do it, so I'd use your method.
Aiyana

Anonymous said...

Hello Julie,
I love your bird house. That is an awesome idea.

Tootsie said...

for a smaller one...to to the dollar store and pick up desk drawer organizers...they are dirt cheap and small enough ...or the small baskets...good luck girl...I am away for a week starting now...luv ya

Julie said...

Tootsie- GREAT idea...I will check those out!

Aiyana...I was fearful that wood would rot here due to the humidity...or mildew, which grosses me out! LOL

Vickie- I am in a hotel this morning...will be back home later tonight...for some reason either Flickr isn't letting me in or it is the wireless here...thanks ...will check it out when I get home!!! You are my buddy!!!!! :)

soulbrush said...

i haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about, but keep going!

Eve said...

I love this. I did go look at the flickr photos. Did you see that pedestal? It was awesome. Thank you for bringing this idea up. I am going to see what I can come up with and I can't wait to see yours. Want to race? LOL

Wicked Gardener said...

Very cute. Would the bird eat any of the succulants?

Puri said...

very beautiful idea!! thanks...

http://www.manualidadespuri.blogspot.com/