Translate

Friday, March 12, 2010

Attempt at a modern Chicken Scratch embroidery...

At the time when I started this, I was thinking I would make a modern pillow, with a non-traditional color of gingham fabric, and do a name in Chicken Scratch. I have stored it away about a year now, and suddenly I have an urge to finish it. If I made it with a name (JUNE, for my mom), would you think it would be best with just a J...or the whole name? Also, should I add some scratch around the edge (for a pillow)...or just trim it out in a modern fabric??? No lace or anything old fashioned for this one...trying to bring it up to the 21st century! What do you all think?

9 comments:

stapeliad said...

It's a lot better than I would have done. You did a great job. I don't like needles...not at the doctor, and not in sewing! :)

soulbrush said...

as i am a 'j' too, i think the letter is smashing (of course), but jokes aside i think your mom would love this, just with the 'j'.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I like the J as a monogram. Your work is beautiful.

Darla said...

I haven't done chickent scratch in years..I love the look and yours is beautiful!

Mary said...

I love chicken scratch! My Mom-in-law still has her Mother's chicken scratch aprons.. they may even have been her gramma's dunno. Mainly in red and white. Very cute! You did a great job!

Bobbie Lynn said...

Wow Julie, it would look great just with one letter or spelled out. Sorry I'm no help here. The design and your stitching are nicely done. Doing some stitching around the edge would be a nice touch to it. Your Mom will love it. Can't wait to see it finished.
Have a great weekend and keep dry. I saw on the news Florida is bracing itself for some very wet weather. Keep safe.
Blessing,

Unknown said...

It looks great! Is that cross stitch? What's chicken scratch?I better google it to find out. The first letter looks so good, but I wonder if that means it would look better with the whole name or whether it would ruin the lovely design??

Unknown said...

Ooohhhhhh! I just got a close up! This I's much more intricate than cross stitch. I love it!!!

Serena Lewis said...

Great job, Julie!