Translate

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Florida Spring Plant Smorgasbord Part 2

Look at this pretty little pink spine on my Ferocactus latispinus! Can I assume it is a spring thing??? LOL. Don't forget, I am on the hunt for spring-like action here in tropical south Florida, which is hard to find!!!

Now, this is definately a sign of spring...my Silver Squill is blooming! It is in one of my succulent tires, along with the top photo of Ferocactus latispinus.

How about this new spring growth on the banana tree across the street! Isn't it a lovely color? Is it a stalk of bananas or a new shoot of leaves?

This beautiful, frilly yellow hibiscus grows in the neighborhood!

Here is the orange blooming small plant that I was gonna ask about. Anyone know what it is??? It seems to like growing in our area, so I want some, seeing as how it is my fav color and all...(orange)...

My cousin has this lovely pot of pink and red geraniums...they are so purdy together, don't you think???

My neighbor, Terri has these new red amaryllis blooms that have popped up!!! Gorgeous!

It has worked out well for me to keep my camera with me at all times...wow...such spring action going on here!!!!! LOL! See ya later...Julie

12 comments:

Cathy S. said...

Really Neat Julie! I know I have been gone for a while, sorry about that but sometimes life just gets a bit busy. Hope you are doing well!

-Cathy

Cindy said...

Could that be a new arm sprouting in the first picture?

OK, here's the deal with the bananas: Each of those red "petals" has a bunch of banana flower buds under it. Each bunch will bloom in succession, and if they're pollinated, they will make bananas. At the arboretum we get a few bunches, (called hands) and then later blooms don't take for whatever reason, and the little flowers just die and fall off.

We have those orange-blooming small plants at the arboretum, too. Don't know what they are, though :P If nobody beats me to it, I'll find out and let you know.

Unknown said...

Love blooms Julie. I love what you have growing in the tires.

Claude said...

Great pics... I always have my camera with me too, but I don't always have time to take pics of anything. Oh well.

BTW... that is definitely a banana bloom. Whether or not it makes actual bananas depends on polination. After it has finished blooming, and possibly fruiting, the plant will die, but will produce more plants from the root.

Julie said...

Thanks all. Appreciate your comments! That banana tree is one of many in the same bed...I sure wouldn't think they die after making bananas...seems like my Moms has been there 100 years, but maybe it is new ones that replaced the old.

Wicked Gardener said...

Does that first plant ever whisper in your ear "Feed me, Julie"? Just wondering.

Claude said...

Oh, I forgot to mention, the orange flower is an Indian Blankey... also called firewheel or blanket flower. It is an American wildflower, and the state flower of Oklahoma. We get fields covered with them in the summer here. Gaillardia pulchella would be the proper name.

Julie said...

Claude- thanks...looks like I found the ID at the same time you commented! I was so happy to discover it on Google! Found it is hardy from zone 3-10...so I am definately in on this! I've already located a local nursery that sells the plants!!!

Julie said...

Wicked- ha ha ha...it sure does look like it could whisper in my ear, dosn't it??? Geeze!

Teri said...

Great blooming photos Julie.
That looks like a guillardia to me and I know I misspelled it. It is so daisy like. lol

Serena Lewis said...

Beautiful spring photos, Julie...I do love the banana spike!

Ezhilan said...

The pink spines have nice looking shapes! I like the banana flower and the lighting. We use the banana flowers(the inside parts) in our cooking. The geranium flowers have a nice color combination and look beautiful. Wonderful collection of photos.Looks cool in our summer heat!