Translate

Friday, March 5, 2010

Scarlet Kleinia (Senecio fulgens)

I am so happy to have found this little succulent beauty in flower, over at the college! Why? Beacause of it's orange blooms! My most favorite color...and this is such a lovely shade, don't you think???

I have never seen this for sale at big box stores, so I consider it a real privledge to have it here at the college. I may ask the lady who runs the garden area if I can have a cutting...(she has given me a few in the past from different plants).

It has spread quite a bit since last year. It has a real fun way about it, I think...kind of sprawling and free.

According to Desert Tropicals, Kleinia is a genus of about 40 species that were previously included in the genus Senecio. They have been separated in the eighties based on microscopic differences in the flower structures. This work is still somewhat controversial, although supported by most botanists specialized in the group. If you click on the link, you can see other varieties of Senecio!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I love all the mini flowers making one big one!

Unknown said...

I love the red blooms, just beautiful.

Darla said...

She is a beaut...hope you get your cutting!

marianne said...

It is lovely!
i am happy orange flowers turn up to brighten your day!
Can't wait for spring to arrive home.....

Deepa Gopal said...

Thats so very lovely...orange is one of my favs too:)
Thanks for sharing the info..
Are you working in a college?

Green thumb said...

Orange is a stunning color. I always associate orange color with a strong warm glow and feel a surge of energy inside by looking at anything naturally orange. This is a lovely orange flower and I hope its glow graces your garden soon.

Bobbie Lynn said...

What a cute button of a flower that is. The color is very pretty.

Thank you for you wonderful comment on my blog too. : )

Have a great day.

Desert Swamp Dweller said...

That is a great orange! You definitely need some.

Serena Lewis said...

What a pretty flower! It reminds me a little of Lantana flower heads. I hope you get a cutting too ~

Lisa at Greenbow said...

These wonderful orange flowers would brighten anyones day. Gorgeous.